Your Insurance Broker's Blog

Insuring your child studying away from home

Your dependent children will be living in another city to continue their full-time studies. Did you know that they’re still covered under your home insurance policy?

In fact, your home insurance policy generally covers children who are temporarily living away from home to attend CEGEP or university full time.

Personal property

Your child’s possessions are insured for a maximum of 10% of the coverage provided under your own home insurance policy. For example, if you insured your possessions for $50,000, your child’s possessions would be insured for a maximum of $5,000.

If you don’t think this amount is enough, you can increase it. With all the electronic equipment students have today, the value of their belongings can climb quickly.

Civil liability

Your children also benefit from the civil liability coverage offered under your home insurance policy. Thus, they’re covered if they’re liable for any damage caused unintentionally to someone else.

It’s important that you let your insurance agent or broker know about your new family situation. He’ll be able to advise you about the coverage available.

Don’t forget about car insurance!

If your child owns a car or uses yours during his studies, it’s important that you let your insurer know about this change. In fact, the place of residence and use of the car are key factors in establishing the insurance premium.