Your Insurance Borker's Blog

Don’t let mould take over your home!

Mould, which is microscopic fungi living and reproducing in moist material, can contaminate the air in your home and harm your family’s health. Here are a few tips from Assurances Groupe Vézina on how to prevent, detect and eliminate it!

Use your senses to detect mould!

Vigilance is a must if you want to prevent mould from rapidly and silently spreading! Usually you can tell you have mould if you see ring marks, black stains or blisters on material or if you smell musty, earthy or alcohol-like odours (similar to the smell of rotting fruit).

Keep an eye on walls, ceilings and carpets, but especially monitor places that are likely to be moist, dark or unventilated, such as behind furniture, closets, cupboards under sinks, interior plants, bathtubs, the basement, etc. Don’t forget that mould can grow in all types of moist materials even cement, plastics and fabrics. It can hide under floors, dropped ceilings, between walls, etc.

Stop mould before it grows!

Control humidity in the basement, especially during the summer, when there is the most humidity—perfect conditions for mould to spread. Keep relative humidity in the basement lower than 60% by using a dehumidifier or an air conditioner in dehumidifying mode.

In the event of seepage or water damage, dry up all the moisture, ventilate well and use a dehumidifier for the following 24 to 48 hours. If the damage is major, hire a specialized company to dry the premises as quickly as possible.

To get rid of mould

If you find mould in your home, it is essential to act quickly to get rid of it, plus find and eliminate the cause. If mould has spread over a large surface, it’s best to hire a specialized company that has the tools and know-how to do the work effectively.

For small surfaces, such as a window sill or a bathroom wall, add a few drops of bleach to hot, soapy water and clean thoroughly. Don’ forget to protect yourself with gloves and a face mask (surgical mask).

Finally, don’t hesitate to ask for help from a professional to identify the underlying problem so that you can be assured that you have gotten rid of mould for good! Not only can it harm your health but mould can cause problems when it comes time to sell your home.